This recipe is another of my toddler friendly concoctions. My little miss loves to sit on the kitchen bench and help construct these. I chop and grate extra toppings because a fair amount goes into her mouth instead of on the mushrooms. I list the ingredients for these shown in the photos, but you can add anything you have on hand just as long as it’s diced and doesn’t release too much water during the cooking process.
As for quantities, aim for a nice rounded shape on the mushroom, kind of like a good bottom! This is not the best looking dish, but it always taste amazing and is a very nutritious addition to any meal. Last time we prepared these, I served them on the side of a tomato-based pasta dish.
Large, flat mushrooms, stalks removed (twist and pull)
Rice bran oil
Grated tasty cheese
Leftover vegetarian sausage, diced
Cob of corn, kernels removed
spinach leaves, roughly torn
Pepper, seasoned to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan forced)
- Lightly grease oven tray with rice bran oil
- Lay mushrooms gill side up on tray
- Sprinkle diced ingredients over mushrooms and press down with fingertips, leaving the cheese and pepper until last
- Bake for 10 to 15 mins or until cheese is golden brown.
To serve toddler, cut into large pieces so each bit can be picked up with a fork.