As I was cuddling my daughter before sleep in the dark recently, she started whispering her hopes to me. She asked if we could make a slice together, with nuts and chocolate melted in the microwave and spread on top. It was such an adorable request I said yes and cuddled her before she drifted to sleep.
The next day after work I found this recipe on the “Oh She Glows” website and bought the ingredients. When I collected my cherub from Childcare she was very excited that we had all the ingredients to make her imagined slice.
This recipe is almost an exact copy of the Oh She Glows recipe, except I have substituted easily accessible ingredients available at the supermarket and customised to our family’s tastes.
1.5 cups mashed banana (4 large lady fingers)
2 teaspoons vanilla paste/extract
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup sultanas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pepita seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
2 pinches crushed sea salt
3/4 cup dairy free dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan forced). Line a Lamington tray with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl mash the bananas and add the vanilla. Stir to combine.
3. Stir in the roles oats.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
5. Pour into pan, press down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bake for 25 minutes until the edges are golden and pull away from the pan.
6. Allow to mostly cool in pan. While you gradually melt the chocolate in the microwave.
7. Drizzle top with chocolate, spread evenly and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
My children made most of this with my supervision. It’s so delicious, we’ll definitely be making this again without the nuts (substituting more seeds) and chocolate to make it Childcare friendly. Yum!